Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sítio do Conde

I visited a place called Sítio do Conde where there are about four main streets that cross to form a center plaza. It's a veeery small town! It was a nice change from how big Salvador is, and I was able to have a lot of time to myself. I met a lot of people there, but no one spoke English. It was a strange experience to not be understood, as they are not used to my accent there. I didn't know I had such an aural variation on the question "quanto custa?".

The beach was very strange there. Beautiful sand stopped just before the water into what kind of looked like asphalt. From there it stopped suddenly into more sand and then the waves. The cool part was the little mini-ecosystems that formed in the crevices of these rocks. There were tiny, and fast!, lizard-fish things. That's the scientific name :) And loads of plants, crabs and algae.

The woman who owned the pousada was very nice, but looked very coarse. She was round and had a strange squint to part of her face. She was very willing to talk with me and I found her to be understanding of my accent, probably because her two daughters live in Italy now and she visits them from time to time. She cooked a lovely breakfast for me and gave me lots of hugs. In the resturant that was attached to the pousada, there was a man there who seemed like the head bartender. He was very nice and seemed to giggle everytime I asked him "tudo bem" or to say "obrigada". It was really funny to have him react that way!

I accidently missed the 10am bus to Aracaju so I had to wait around for the 3pm one. By the time I arrived in Aracaju, I was exhaused!

No comments:

Post a Comment