Monday, August 30, 2010

Dia 2

Today has been a long day already, and it´s only 3pm!

My first Portuguese class was really interesting. I was able to pick up a lot of new words and better yet, I was able to use the stuff I already know. There are two others in my class: One is Bulent who is from Turkey and speaks a little German, and the other is Melanie who is from Belgim and speaks French, English, German, and Spanish! The class is entirely in Portuguese and is easy sometimes, and difficult some other times.

After class, I ate lunch at Melanie´s casa. We had bread, salami, and cheese. All of it was very good. Afterward we walked around, and she showed me a fabric shop, a grocery, and a bakery. She lives with her boyfriend in an apartment near school, and she´s had two weeks to get to know the area with him.

So they don´t have squrills here, but they do have TINY MONKIES! Yes!!!! I´ll get a picture of one asap!

Tomorrow I start capoeira. I am very excited to try the art in Brazil! Also, I will find out more information about where I will stay once I am not with my host family, and I get to pick where I would like to volunteer in Salvador. I don´t know what is available yet.

I haven´t run into any street music, but I´ve been a little nervous to venture on my own just yet. I hope to meet some of the other students at Diálogo tomorrow, and maybe some who are interested in exploring more. I haven´t felt in danger on the streets here, and part of me feels like I just need to be aware, but just to be safe, I´ll make some friends first! :)

2 comments:

  1. I am absolutely THRILLED that you are doing this. Tony is jealous beyond belief! Soak it up...this is the adventure of a life time!!


    Katie

    ReplyDelete