Saturday, September 4, 2010

First Saturday in Brazil

What a busy week! I´m getting behind in my blogging!

Salvador is amazing! So much stuff going on and so far I´ve meet a lot of fantastic people. Right now I´m in an internet café, and they are playing a lot of american pop music. Song of the moment: Lenny Kravitz "Fly Away". I shall never escape this.

I´ve made a turkish friend who speaks only turque and a very little bit of portuguese. So, as you can imagine, the communication is difficult. I feel compassionate: he does not share a common language with anyone (the rest of us at the school speak english socially) and most of the other students don´t want to talk for long due to the overall difficulty in speaking. He also told me the brazilian friends he is living with don´t interact with him at home, so he isn´t able to pracitce his portuguese. SO, I´ve been trying to talk with him more and help him a lot in class. I think he is getting better... I hope so.

I´ve meet up with a few people from couchsurfing.com and it´s been really nice to get tours of the area from locals. Until I am much better at speaking portuguese, I think it´s a great idea to get introduced to the city via brazilians who speak english. I´m very happy to be able to use CouchSurfing.com as a resource for this.

Does anyone know of a free unlimited photo/video uploading service? I´m already over my limit on flickr for the month, and I don´t have the money exactly to buy the "pro package" (although it´s a really really good deal)

Also, I´ve decided I need to go to the Amazon while I´m here. I mean, what would it be to go to Brazil and skip out on that?? The fortunate thing is I may be able to meet some people who frequent there an tag along or some thing! That would be great.

Until next time, Tchau!

No comments:

Post a Comment